The Honorable H. A. Jamison, Banking Commissioner of Texas, signed the charter on October 20, 1944.
The officers then purchased some land in the 500 block of Sixth Street North and entered into a contract with W. B. Ponder to construct a new building. During construction of the new structure, the building committee hired an engineer from Pan American to come after work each afternoon to do an inspection; for this service he was paid $1.00 per day. The new building, completed the same month as World War II ended (September 1945), was modern in design. Air conditioning, however, was not attainable until sometime later; cool air equipment and safe deposit boxes were finally installed in late 1948. Since sugar was rationed at the time the Bank was opened, the minutes of the board meeting prior to opening expressed concern about obtaining sugar for punch for the open house. When the Bank opened for business with capital of $5,000 and surplus of $15,000 thirteen people–five officers and eight employees–comprised the staff.
Today, Mainland Bank is capitalized with nearly $12,000,000, employs more than twenty people and operates three full service locations. As we look back on the past history of Mainland Bank, we see a bank that has stood the test of time. We see a course that has been set with the vision of the original founders that continues in the leadership of the present Directors and Officers.
Copyright © 2016 - Mainland Bank - All rights reserved.