The Honorable H. A. Jamison, Banking Commissioner of Texas, signed the charter on October 20, 1944.
The officers then purchased some land in the 500 block of Sixth Street North and entered into a contract with W. B. Ponder to construct a new building. During construction of the new structure, the building committee hired an engineer from Pan American to come after work each afternoon to do an inspection; for this service he was paid $1.00 per day. The new building, completed the same month as World War II ended (September 1945), was modern in design. Air conditioning, however, was not attainable until sometime later; cool air equipment and safe deposit boxes were finally installed in late 1948. Since sugar was rationed at the time the Bank was opened, the minutes of the board meeting prior to opening expressed concern about obtaining sugar for punch for the open house. When the Bank opened for business with capital of $5,000 and surplus of $15,000 thirteen people--five officers and eight employees--comprised the staff.
Both Texas City and Mainland Bank have seen many changes and suffered several tragic periods. 1947 was a year to be remembered by many as the year of the terrible explosion which occurred April 16 at the Texas City docks. Hundreds were killed and thousands injured while property damages ran in to the millions. In 1949, one of the refineries experienced a strike of several months. The bank helped both businesses and individuals through the area's tragedies by quickly approving new loans and existing ones without penalties.
On September 10, 1961, Hurricane Carla struck Texas City causing millions of dollars in damages. No lives were lost, but it was several months before activity in the area returned to normal. Mainland Bank set up an office and hired two ladies to take applications for Small Business Administration loans offered by the federal government. Since the town had been declared a disaster area the low interest loans were made available to those who suffered rising water damage, which was not covered by insurance. Hundreds of small businesses and individuals applied for and received those loans, enabling them to continue working and living in Texas City.
In December 1975, an architect was commissioned to design a new bank building to be located at the corner of Palmer Highway and 29th Street.
After more than 30 years at the Palmer Highway location, the bank continues to serve the people of Galveston County as a community bank. A convenient ATM facility was completed and placed in service in February of 1996.
As we look back on the past history of Mainland Bank, we see a bank that has stood the test of time. We see a course that has been set with the vision of the original founders that continues in the leadership of the present Directors and Officers.
Robert Bannon presently serves as Chairman of the Board, with current Directors being Joseph Byrd, Jr., Michael Gaido, Tomy Hamon, Robert Harris, Joseph Hoover, John W. Lyons, Jr., and Mark Lyons. Also serving as Advisory Directors are Clif Lamar, and JJ Stanford.
Our experienced officer staff includes President, Robert Harris; Vice Presidents Clif Lamar, Kyle McClellen, Debbie McGee, and JJ Stanford.